Sunday, October 14, 2012

Adjourning From A Group


One of the groups that was difficult to adjourn from was the weight loss group that I joined. This group was difficult to leave because I learned much about proper nutrition and ways to better my overall health. I also met many women that struggled to eat healthy and prepare healthy meals. This group was hard to leave because we become a family and the support that was provided allowed us to reach our weight loss goals. The closing rituals that I experienced within this group was that we met with each other one last time, openly discussed our success stories and exchanged contact information. I imagine that the way I will adjourn from the group of colleagues that I have formed while working on my master's degree is by exchanging contacting information and also giving my best wishes to each colleague. I believe that adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork because it allows a person to give and receive closure as well as maintain relationships.

2 comments:

PhoenixEducator said...

Hi Sophia!

Thank you for your post! I think your example adjourning a weight loss group demonstrates a type of group it would be hard to leave. Often groups who gather to support large goals like weight loss, health, and family are difficult to adjourn because the members develop a secure trust with one another. Trust is crucial to team building because it supports a risk taking environment.

Sarah Wilson Hyde said...

Hi Shevia,

I agree with you regarding closure in relationships. I never really thought about the necessity for closure before, in relationships other than family or romantic ones, but I now see it is required. Every time we experience closure we are free and clear to move on to the next chapter in our life, or the next project we are passionate about! Thanks for sharing!
Sarah